Subtract is particularly useful to simplify processes and eliminate
costs. An opportunity to offer something different by
simplification. This ideation technique is suitable to re-design
something that already exist and need to be refresh.
- Everyone has something of value, therefore everyone has
an obligation to speak and share. Respect the speaker
- Remember, all the greatest ideas started sounding really
- Avoid ‘bar discussion’ and take a stand.
- For this exercise you will need to prepare the user
journey with its key instances.
- You need to know what you may like to eliminate across
- Start by mapping the user’s journey horizontally at the
middle of the board, leave plenty of space above.
- Analyze which functions you could eliminate. Where
they intervene in the process. Put a note of these
function below the process. Use different colors for
- Write down ideas to eliminate functions above the
- Soon you will discover a new user journey on which
unnecessary functionalities or tasks have been
eliminated. You may end up with several user journey
on which user’s journey functionalities have been
eliminated. It is your role to assess which scenario
respond the best to the user experience you are looking