The storyboard is a graphical technique that helps in
understanding user tasks across a specific process of execution.
It include picture or drawing that focuses on the user
experience. Storyboard can be used to describe the current user
experience as well as the desired one.
- Construction Iteration is usually made of paper,
cardboard and thermocol, It is a low cost prototyping
- The objective is not to create “something nice” but
understand the volumes and functions of a particular
- The technique help you to understand the desired size
and volume of things.
- Construction iteration focuses especially on user touch
point. We speak about physical touch points in this
- Identify existing objects that could be used as base to
create your design. Boxes, cans, pipes, straw, etc. Use
these basic elements to create the volume of your
- Stick buttons, screen and added functionalities to your
- It won’t work and it won’t look nice. That’s not the
purpose. The purpose is to understand the functional
elements may not be at the right place, that volumes
could be disproportionate.
- Reiterate until you get product volumes and
functionalities at the right place.
- A good idea maybe to start recuperating all kind of
cardboard and plastic elements that would inspire you
to create something once you see them. Meanwhile,
you can start with stationary and craft.
- Basic cutting and fixing elements.
- Be curious and try different combination to create
- Focus on user touch point, what they want to do and
how practical will it be to do it on your design.
- Integrate your construction iteration on the user
- This tool is about self learning. You test as you go. You
keep trying different volume combination to discover
the “ideal” design.
- Test is part of the exercise itself. You pass the test once
your design is achieve a certain level of aesthetical
and functional performance.
- Your store room will be the best resource for this
exercise. With few basic elements you can recreate
most of the products you use daily.
- You may find opportunities to innovate by resizing
volumes and change the functionalities.